As the largest online retailer in the world, Amazon is a great place to start if you’re looking for a new perfume or aftershave.
They stock a massive selection of both perfumes and Colognes including from brands such as:
- Vera Wang
- Victoria’s Secret
- Tom ford
If you’ve purchased a fragrance from Amazon or have had one gifted to you, but you’re not happy with the smell, it’s a mistaken purchase or for any other reason, you might be wondering what Amazon’s returns policy is.
To bring you up to speed, we’ve looked into how long you have to make a return, how to initiate a return, what it will cost you and we’ve even made a competitor comparison to see how Amazon stacks up against others in the marketplace.
Keep reading to find out…
What is Amazon’s Returns Policy for Fragrances? In Short
You can return your perfume or cologne to Amazon for a full refund or exchange up to 30 days after receiving the product. When you make your return be sure to include the box and any accessories in a like-new condition.
You can return a fragrance to Amazon for any number of reasons and they provide a full list to choose from when you initiate the returns process:
If you’re returning for another reason not on the list you can always speak to someone at Amazon through their customer services page and they respond very quickly in our experience.
How to Return Perfume or Cologne to Amazon?
Making a return through Amazon couldn’t be simpler and can all be done within your Amazon account, either on desktop or the app:
Returning a watch to Amazon can only be done using their online process but it is really simple.
Just do this:
- Log in to your Amazon account
- Look for the returns and order section in the top corner on desktop (on the mobile app find your orders by clicking the little man on the bottom row of your screen)
- Pick the option to return or replace (if on mobile just click the product in your list of recent purchases)
- Choose a reason for return from the drop-down (we’ve posted a screenshot of it above)
- Fill in the details confirming why you want to make a return
- Select your preferred return method
- Print the return label to return your fragrance
Will it Cost to Return a Fragrance to Amazon? Delivery or Re-stocking Fee?
The good news is that Amazon provides at least one free option when returning items so there shouldn’t be any cost to you.
They also don’t charge a re-stocking fee.
You’re only likely to be charged if you’ve lost key accessories to whatever you’ve purchased but this normally won’t cover fragrances which are more often than not sold alone in single bottles.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Refund From Amazon?
Amazon typically processes returns within 3-5 days of receiving them at their warehouse.
However, you need time for the product to arrive there and for the money to appear in your account.
Therefore, we normally say to allow up to 7 – 10 business days before you see the money in your account.
What to Do if You’re Outside the 30-Day Window
If you want to make a return after 30 days then you still have a few options:
- Speak to someone on the customer services page to see if there’s any flexibility. If the 30-day window has only just elapsed there may be some wiggle room especially if there’s a good reason for not returning your fragrance or if it’s gone bad very quickly (ie. it’s defective);
- Sell your perfume or cologne. Most fragrances have excellent resale value on sites like eBay, forums, or on Facebook Marketplace;
- Another option is to rely on the guarantee or warranty if your fragrance comes with one and it’s defective (i.e. causes skin irritation or has gone bad etc…). Unfortunately, the majority of fragrances do not come with a guarantee but we’d suggest making inquiries with the brand to check.
How Does Amazon’s Policy Compare to Other Retailers?
We think it’s worth a look at how Amazon’s competitors shape up when it comes to their returns policies on fragrances.
Let’s take a look:
|Neiman Marcus||30 days|
|Nordstrom||100% satisfaction guarantee (return any time)|
|Costco||100% satisfaction guarantee (return any time)|
As you can see, Amazon’s returns policy is very average and pretty much bottom of the pile compared to most other retailers.
Costco’s perfume returns policy is the clear winner as they allow you to return fragrances at any time, even if they’ve been used. Perfect if you’re someone who likes returning things or you’re purchasing for a particularly fussy and picky friend or relative.
In summary, Amazon’s 30-day returns window is not all that generous and is pretty underwhelming compared to the completion.
However, you simply can’t beat the convenience and speed of Amazon and they offer free delivery on a lot of products, especially if you’re a Prime member.
For those reasons, most people will be prepared to overlook its measly 30-day returns policy.