As the largest retailer in the US, Walmart is a great place to start for pretty much any product under the sun, including fragrances.
They stock a huge variety of perfumes and Cologne from brands such as:
- Jimmy Choo
- Dolce & Gabbana
- Ralph Lauren and many more
If you’ve purchased a fragrance from Walmart or perhaps had it gifted to you, but are looking to make a return, you’ll want to get up to scratch with Walmart’s returns policy which can differ depending on the type of product you’re returning.
To throw you a lifeline there, we’ve explored Walmart’s fragrance returns policy in detail and will bring you up to speed with what their returns window is, how to make a return, whether you need a receipt, and much more.
We’ve even analyzed the market to see how Walmart’s returns policy holds up.
What is Walmart’s Fragrance Returns Policy? The Short Answer
You can return perfume and Cologne to Walmart within 90 days of purchase for a full refund or exchange whether you purchased from a brick-and-mortar Walmart store or from Walmart.com.
You can return fragrances to Walmart for any number of reasons including:
- It being defective or if it’s gone off
- If it’s an unwanted gift
- A duplicate order
- You’ve changed your mind
- You’ve seen it cheaper elsewhere
- It was ordered by mistake
Pretty much any reason will do.
What About Fragrances Gifted to Me?
If you’ve received a bottle of perfume or Cologne as a gift, you can still return it with the gift receipt for an exchange, refund to a gift card, or credit to the buyer’s original payment method. Without a gift receipt, you will receive a gift card or cash if the value is less than $10.
Can I Return Opened Bottles of Perfume and Cologne to Walmart?
Yes, you can return opened and used bottles provided you do so within the first 90 days of purchase.
This is helpful if you’ve received a fragrance as a gift but upon opening and trying it you can’t stomach the smell.
Walmart just asks that you return your fragrance in its original packaging (i.e. the original box but no need to worry about missing cellophane).
How to Return a Fragrance to Walmart
You can return fragrances either in-store or by using the online returns process.
Fragrances purchased online or using the app can also be returned in-store, even though you didn’t originally purchase them that way provided they are not damaged or the wrong item, in which case you should use the online returns process below.
However, you should note that fragrances purchased in-store, cannot be returned using the online returns process.
If you want to initiate an online return then do the following:
- Go to to your Walmart Account and log in
- Look for your purchase history
- Find the fragrance you want to return
- Choose order details
- Choose start a return
- Select your item
- Provide your reason for return
- Select whether you’d like an exchange or refund
- Select save
- Click continue
- Choose the method for return (i.e. mail or in-store)
- Print off the returns label if returning by mail
- Click submit
- If making a return by mail drop off your fragrance with the box and any accessories with the returns label to your local FedEx or USPS location
Are Fragrance Returns to Walmart Free?
Walmart provides free returns for most of the items it sells including fragrances with prepaid returns labels from USPS or FedEx.
They also don’t charge a restocking fee like some stores charge.
Can I Return a Fragrance to Walmart without a Receipt?
If you don’t have a receipt you will need to take along a government-issued ID and if their system accepts that they will either allow:
- an exchange
- cash refund for items worth less than $10
- Walmart gift card for items worth over $10
However, it’s important to remember that most sales can be traced especially if you ordered online as you will have been sent an invoice to your email address upon purchase. Sales can also be traced within your Walmart account and on the app.
Another option is to take along the credit/debit card and bank statement to prove the purchase.
How Long Will it Take to Get a Refund from Walmart for a Returned Fragrance?
It can take up to 10 business days if you use the online returns process but you can speed this up considerably just by returning your fragrance in-store.
If you paid on card then processing times may differ depending on who you bank with or the company that issued you your card.
You should note that if you paid using a credit/debit card, the refund will be provided to the same card you paid on, rather than in cash. If you paid with cash, you’ll receive a cash refund.
What to Do Outside the 90-Day Window?
If you’re outside the 90-day window already we’d advise doing the following:
- Contact Walmart over at their contact us page and explain your situation. They may be able to extend the returns window if you have a good reason and you’re not far beyond the 90-day window;
- If your fragrance is defective (i.e. broken bottle or gone bad within the best-before date) then you could try contacting the manufacturer, although warranties aren’t common for this type of product. However, some manufacturers will be willing to exchange your fragrance regardless;
- Sell your fragrance. You can usually get excellent resale value for used designer fragrances provided most of the fragrance is still there.
How Does Walmart’s Fragrance Returns Policy Hold Up?
We’ve done a competitor comparison to see how Walmart’s fragrance returns policy stands up against the other big players in the market.
Let’s take a look:
|Nordstrom||100% satisfaction guarantee (return any time)|
|Costco||100% satisfaction guarantee (return any time)|
Walmart’s returns policy is a respectable 90 days from the date of purchase which is one of the best out there and is only really beaten by Costco and Nordstrom which both let you return fragrances at any time.