Walmart stocks a splendid selection of vacuums from all of the big boys on the market.
This includes wired, wireless, and smart robotic vacuums from brands like:
- Bissell and
If you’ve purchased a vacuum from Walmart but are looking to make a return; perhaps it’s not performing like you thought it would, it was ordered by mistake, or it is an unwanted gift, then you’ll need to refer to Walmart’s returns policy.
To help you there, we’ve taken a good look at what Walmart’s vacuum return window is, how to make a return, what to do with no receipt, and much more.
Let’s take a look…
What is Walmart’s Vacuum Return Policy? The Short Answer
In short, you can return vacuums to Walmart within 90 days of purchase for an exchange or full refund. This applies to vacuums purchased in-store or from Walmart.com.
You can return a vacuum to Walmart for reasons such as:
- It being defective
- An unwanted gift
- The wrong order
- A duplicate order
- Not being happy with the performance
- Not being happy with the aesthetics
- If you’ve changed your mind
Do I Need a Receipt to Return a Vacuum to Walmart?
If you purchased your vacuum in-store or it was gifted to you and you don’t have a receipt, Walmart will ask you to produce a government-issued ID to check their system.
If that checks out they will then offer you either:
- an exchange;
- a Walmart gift card if the item is valued equal to or more than $10 (which will apply to most vacuums) or;
- a cash refund if the item is worth less than $10.
Walmart will also offer to send it to the manufacturer for a repair if your item is faulty.
However, it’s important to remember that you will have been sent an invoice to your email registered with your account if you purchased your vacuum on Walmart.com or on the app so have a rummage through your emails if you’re struggling to find proof of purchase.
You can also see your purchase history within your online account and print off proof of purchase that way.
Remember that most vacuums are sold with a warranty of at least 1 year which you can claim against even outside Walmart’s 90-day returns window if your unit develops a fault.
How to Return a Vacuum to Walmart
You can return a vacuum to Walmart either by taking it back to the store you purchased it from which you can also do if you purchased it online or by using the online returns process which applies to online/app purchases only (i.e. you can’t return a vacuum purchased in-store using the online process).
To return a vacuum to Walmart using the online returns process do the following:
- Log in to your Walmart Account
- Find your purchase history
- Choose order details
- Pick start a return
- Select your vacuum
- Provide your reason for return
- Select whether you’d like an exchange or refund
- Click continue
- Choose the method for return (i.e. mail or in-store)
- Print off the returns label if returning by mail
- Click submit
- For a return by mail, drop off your vacuum with the box and any accessories with the returns label to the USPS or FedEx drop-off point. You may also be given the option to have your vacuum picked up.
Walmart provides free returns labels through USPS and FedEx so there will be no charge to return your vacuum and they also don’t charge a restocking fee as some stores do.
What About No Box, Accessories, and Used Vacuums?
You can still return used vacuums to Walmart provided you do it within the first 90 days after purchase.
If you have lost the box, we would advise talking to staff at Walmart on 1 (800) 925-6278 to confirm the position. In our experience, you will still normally be able to secure a return without the box.
However, if you have lost key accessories such as nozzles, chargers, or cables Walmart may refuse your return or may reduce your refund to reflect the value of the lost items.
We would speak to Walmart on the above number if you have lost accessories before initiating your return.
How Long to Receive a Refund?
Walmart says to expect to wait up to 10 business days if you use the online returns process.
This is to allow time for them to receive the vacuum, process the return, and make the refund to your account.
The quickest way to secure a refund is to take the vacuum back to the store. Your refund will then be processed there and then but can still take a few days to appear in your account depending on your bank or card issuer.
What to do Beyond the 90 Days?
If you are beyond the 90 days we’ve got some suggestions as to what you can do.
- Firstly, contact Walmart and explain your situation. If you are just outside the 90-day return window, they may be able to offer some flexibility. Ask to speak to a manager and explain your circumstances to them;
- If your vacuum has developed a fault after 90 days, remember that you will still have the warranty to fall back on. Here is a breakdown of the warranties provided by some of the main brands:
- The other option is to claim from your insurance policy. Most home insurance policies provide for accidental damage, fault protection, and even refund coverage, with the caveat that you will likely need to pay a deductible if you do make a claim;
- You could also have your vacuum repaired which is actually often still economical compared to many home appliances. Expect to pay around $15-$65 per hour.
How Does Walmart’s Vacuum Return Policy Compare?
If you’ve not yet purchased the vacuum or are thinking of returning one to Walmart and purchasing elsewhere, then it’s worth looking at how Walmart’s competitors’ policies compare.
Let’s take a look:
|15-60 days depending on if you’re a premium member
Walmart’s 90-day return policy for vacuums is very middle of the road and quite typical of what to expect in the market.
Only Costco and Kohl’s policies were more generous according to what we found.
Walmart boasts a great selection of vacuums at reasonable prices making it the ideal place to source your next unit.
They also provide free, fast returns whether that’s in-store or online and the fact that Walmart stores are widespread across the country with 3500 branches, makes returns an absolute doddle.