As the number one online retailer in the world, Amazon stocks everything you could ever need to build your next PC.
If you’ve purchased PC parts from Amazon such as:
- A motherboard
- Hard Drive (SSD/NVME/SATApsu)
- Graphics card (GPU)
- Power Supply (PSU)
- PC Case
- Case Fans or
- Peripherals such as a keyboard or mouse
But you’ve received your product and you want to make a return, then you’ll want to become familiar with Amazon’s returns policy.
To help you there, we’ve examined how long you’ll have to make a return, how to return the product, when to expect a refund, and much more.
Keep reading to find out more…
(Read the following if you’re interested in Amazon’s returns policy for CPU’s).
What is Amazon’s PC Parts Returns Policy? The Short Answer
In short, you can return PC parts to Amazon to exchange them or for a full refund within 30 days of receipt. Ensure you return your parts with the full accessories and packaging.
You can initiate a return for all manner of reasons including:
- If your items are defective
- You’ve mistakenly ordered them
- They’re defective
- You’re underwhelmed by their performance
We’ve pulled up the full list of reasons:
How to Return Your PC Parts to Amazon
As it stands, you can only return Amazon products using their online returns process which is managed via your account on desktop or in the app.
Do this to start your return:
- Log in to your Amazon account
- Go to the orders and returns section which is in the top right corner on desktop or on the bottom row on mobile (click the little man icon and click orders)
- Select your order and select the option to return or replace
- Choose an option from the drop-down menu (see our photo above) as to why you want to return your product
- Complete the text box
- Select your preferred return method
- Print your returns label
Will it Cost to Return PC Parts to Amazon?
Amazon provides at least one free returns option for most items under 50lb in weight so you should normally be provided with free returns delivery.
There is also no re-stocking fee or anything of that kind like some stores charge.
How Long Will it Take to Get a Refund from Amazon for Return PC Parts?
Expect to wait up to 14 days for the money to appear back in your bank account.
Amazon needs time to receive the returned items, to check that the product is there with its accessories, and to then issue the refund.
It can sometimes be slightly longer or shorter depending on the speed of your bank or card issuer.
Do I Need Boxes and Accessories When Returning PC Parts to Amazon?
Amazon’s policy is that you should return your item with all of its original boxes and accessories.
If you’re missing anything, we’d advise speaking to someone via Amazon’s help center.
In our experience, Amazon is pretty flexible when it comes to missing packaging but you may encounter more issues if you’ve lost key accessories that come with the product.
Again, we’d suggest speaking to someone at the help center if you’ve lost key parts.
Amazon Watch Returns Policy
Amazon Beyond 30-Day Return Policy for PC Parts
If you’re already beyond the 30-day window and still want a solution then we’d do the following:
- If you’re just outside the 30-day window, speak to someone at Amazon’s help center – there may be some leniency and scope to extend the window
- If your item has developed a fault again speak to someone at Amazon’s help center as sometimes Amazon will still deal with your return even after the 30-day window if the item is defective
- The other option if your product has developed a fault is to use the product warranty. Computer parts come with a variety of warranties from usually 1-5 years. We’d suggest speaking to staff at Amazon first and if they won’t deal, you can send the product directly to the manufacturer
- Another option is to rely on your home insurance policy which may cover accidental damage, and faults and may even provide refund protection
- You could also sell the product. Most computer parts have excellent resale value and can even be sold for parts in the case of defective items
How Does Amazon’s PC Parts Returns Window Compare?
If you’ve not yet purchased your PC parts from Amazon, it’s worth looking at how their returns policy holds up against the competition.
If you’re one for returning items often this might help you make up your mind as to whether Amazon’s the place to buy your parts:
|Micro Center||30 days|
|Best Buy||15 days extended to 60 with premium membership|
In summary, it’s clear that Amazon’s returns policy is fairly middle-of-the-road.
It tends to be only the membership stores where you get more than 30 days such as at Costco and Best Buy if you purchase their total tech membership.
Amazon’s PC parts return policy is fairly standard across the industry. It’s not the best out of there but it’s adequate.
The bonus of ordering from Amazon is that they provide free returns on most items and we all love the convenience and the quick delivery, especially if you’re a prime member.
We’ve bought many PC parts from Amazon and have always had a great experience, even when we’ve had to return certain things.
Remember, even if you’re outside the 30-day returns window, there are still plenty of options, which is especially true for PC parts which tend to hold their value a lot longer than some other items and are easily resold.
This is especially so for GPUs which have been like hen’s teeth to get hold of in recent times due to unscrupulous scalpers and the crypto mining craze creating all kinds of supply and demand issues.