Amazon stocks a wide range of baby products including disposable items like diapers from brands such as:
- Hello Bello
- Mama Bear (their own branded diaper)
If you’ve ordered diapers from Amazon but want to make a return; perhaps they don’t fit, are poor quality, or were ordered by mistake, then you’ll need to act quickly.
Amazon only allows a limited time to accept returns so you need to initiate the return as soon as possible. To help you there, we’ll cover how long you have to make a return, how to return, whether you can return used diapers, and much more.
Let’s take a look…
What is Amazon’s Diaper Return Policy? The Short Answer
In short, you can return diapers to Amazon within 90 days of receipt for a full refund or exchange but this is only if they’re damaged or defective.
Unfortunately, Amazon no longer accepts returns on diapers that are not defective or damaged even if they remain unopened.
We’d class damaged or defective as:
- If the diapers cause rash or irritation
- If they split
- Excessive leakage (all diapers leak from time to time but if they leak excessively we’d reach out to Amazon)
- If they rip easily
- If the fastenings fail to fasten
What About Opened and Used Diapers?
Whether you can return opened and used diapers will much depend on the reason for wanting to make a return.
If you open them, use them, and find they’re defective (e.g. don’t fasten or irritate your baby) then Amazon will still likely take them back and offer you a refund or replacement.
However, if you open them, use a few, and then decide you want to return them for no apparent reason then it’s unlikely Amazon will accept a return.
Amazon doesn’t accept returns for certain products due to hygienic reasons so they will take back worn diapers unless they are damaged or defective in some way.
If your circumstances fall in between these scenarios we would advise talking to someone at Amazon’s help center to explain the situation.
How to Return Diapers to Amazon
To return diapers to Amazon you need to initiate the returns process using the website or app.
It’s easy to do. Follow these steps:
- Log in to your Amazon account
- Choose the orders and returns section in the top right corner on desktop (on the mobile app go to your orders and click on the item you want to return)
- Pick return and replace items (if on mobile just click the product you want to return)
- Pick an option from the drop-down menu as to why you want to return the product
- Complete the questions and boxes when required
- Chose the method you want to return the diapers with
- Print the return label and attach it to your diapers
- Drop the diapers at the drop-off point (usually a UPS one)
The good thing about Amazon is that they offer at least one free return delivery option so there shouldn’t be anything to pay to make a return to them.
How Long Does it Take to Receive a Refund from Amazon for Diapers?
Amazon aims to process returns within 1-3 days when the item is received at its warehouse.
However, you need to allow time for it to get there and then for the refund to appear back in your account so it can take up to 10 days in our experience depending on how fast your bank/card provider is at issuing refunds.
Your refund will be issued to the same card you used to pay on.
What to Do with Diapers After 90 Days?
If you’re already beyond the 90-day returns window then we have some suggestions.
- Firstly, contact Amazon and explain the situation. If you’re only just outside the window then they may still take them. If they’re defective they will usually take them back even outside the 90-day window;
- The next option is to sell them. You can get good resale value for most baby items albeit you’re more likely to sell them if the packet is unopened. Facebook Marketplace, eBay, and forums such as Community Baby Center are great places to start;
- If you’re feeling charitable then you could also give them to the local food bank. Food banks and refuges etc… will often take non-food items for people struggling financially in the community.
How Does Amazon’s Diaper Return Policy Hold Up?
We’ve taken a look at Amazon’s competitors’ return policies to see how they compare.
Here is what we found:
|Return any time
Amazon’s diaper return policy has changed recently and it now only accepts returns on diapers that are defective or damaged.
Amazon has a great selection at good prices with free delivery (especially if you’re a Prime member) making it an ideal place to source them if you haven’t got time to visit the store.
Amazon also provides free returns but you will no longer be able to return them unless they’re broken or defective so check with Amazon’s help center before you start the process.