- Can Your Purchase Gift Cards With Gift Cards at Target? The Short Answer
- Can I Purchase a Visa, MasterCard, or American Express Gift Card with a Gift Card at Target?
- What Can I Use a Target Gift Card For?
- How Many Target Gift Cards Can I Use at Target?
- I’ve Received a Target Gift Card and Want to Return it. How Do I Do that?
- Final Thoughts
Gift card sales in the US are now huge, having reached in excess of $160 billion dollars per year.
They are the perfect gift whether it be for a birthday, Christmas, ThanksGiving, or just to show your gratitude for a job well done.
Gift cards can be purchased for just about anything including for:
- Food like McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, Starbucks, and many more
- Electronics such as PS5s, Apple products, and Samsung goods
- Clothes such as Nike, Adidas, and Abercrombie
- Financial institutions such as Visa, MasterCard, and American Express
Gift cards are now sold by all the major retailers such as Walmart, Best Buy, Costco, and Kohls all of whom sell their own branded gift cards as well as those from other major brands.
As one of the US’s largest retailers, Target now stocks a wide variety of its own brand gift cards as well as ones from numerous other companies.
If you’ve received a gift card from Target then you might be wondering what their policy is when it comes to purchasing other gift cards they sell.
To help you out with that, we’ve explored Target’s gift card policy in detail.
Keep reading to find out more…
Can Your Purchase Gift Cards With Gift Cards at Target? The Short Answer
Unfortunately, you can’t purchase other gift cards with a gift card at Target. This is expressly against their gift card policy.
If you do wish to purchase another gift card, then we’d recommend selling your gift card first. We’ll come on to that below.
Can I Purchase a Visa, MasterCard, or American Express Gift Card with a Gift Card at Target?
Again, this is against Target’s policy on gift cards so it isn’t possible.
For example, if you’ve already got a Visa gift card, you wouldn’t be able to use that to purchase a MasterCard gift card at Target.
This is expressly against their policy.
Moreover, you also can’t use a Target-branded gift card to purchase other gift cards at Target.
You also can’t use, say, a Visa gift card to purchase a Target gift card.
Nor, can you use a Target gift card to purchase iTunes gift cards.
What Can I Use a Target Gift Card For?
If you have a Target gift card, you can use it for purchasing anything in-store or on Target.com (excluding gift cards) including:
- Restricted items such as alcohol and tobacco
- At Starbucks within Target
- At the Target Cafe
- At CVS pharmacies if they’re contained within Target stores
- Target optical purchases (excluding those made online)
Can I Use Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express Gift Cards at Target?
Yes, these types of gift cards can be used at any checkout at Target or online, where the credit/debit cards from these companies are accepted.
As above, you can’t use these to purchase other gift cards (whether that be Target branded ones or others) but you can use them to purchase any other goods where their credit/debit cards are accepted as payment.
Does Target Accept $50 and $100 bills?
How Many Target Gift Cards Can I Use at Target?
You can use up to 10 Target gift cards at Target’s online store and unlimited in-store.
Target gift cards don’t expire so you can rest easy knowing that you have as long as you want to spend them.
You should note that when making a purchase a Target gift card’s balance will be used up first and then your credit/debit card/cash to make up any outstanding sum owed.
I’ve Received a Target Gift Card and Want to Return it. How Do I Do that?
Unfortunately, Target does not allow Target gift cards purchased after 10 January 2020 to be returned according to their policy and they cannot be exchanged for cash or credit.
What To Do With Unwanted Target Gift Cards. Can I sell Target Gift Cards?
If you’ve received a Target gift card that you don’t want or you want to use it to purchase a different gift card, then you have a few options:
- Sell your gift card on eBay, Craig’s List, Facebook Market Place etc.. albeit you might need to reduce the price unless you get lucky with your sale. However, we appreciate some people would rather just have quick cash, and taking less than the card’s value might still be tempting;
- Sell your gift card at somewhere like CardCash.com. This website allows you to sell your unwanted gift cards but unfortunately, they only pay up to 92% of the card’s value so you will make a loss;
- Purchase something at Target with your gift card and sell that product. By making use of arbitrage, you may be able to buy something at Target and sell it elsewhere for a profit;
- Save your gift card as a gift for someone else.
You should note that if you purchase something from Target with your gift card, and return it for a refund, Target’s returns policy is that your refund will be credited back to a gift card.
In other words, this prevents you from using Target’s returns policy to redeem a gift card for cash through the back door.
Target’s gift card policy when it comes to using gift cards to purchase other gift cards is pretty much standard across the board.
In short, they don’t allow it and it’s expressly against their policy.
This is the case whether you’re looking to buy gift cards with Target’s own brand cards or with other cards such as Visa or MasterCard.
This is pretty much standard across the industry and isn’t unique to Target.
However, if you’re in possession of an unwanted gift card that you want to make use of, there are still other options as we’ve covered above, although granted, you may have to take a slight hit if you do decide to sell.
If you don’t wish to sell your gift card, then you could always pass it on as a gift to someone else, albeit this is perhaps not the classiest move you could ever make.